Free Museums & PHLASH Shuttle
During CollegeFest, museums across the city open their doors and provide free admission to college students! We’ve partnered with the sites below who are planning special features for student visitors.
- The Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University is presenting several shows during the day. First, Dinosaur Detectives at 11am. Can you tell a fossil from a fake? Put your skills to the test and meet a live animal that has some things in common with the extinct stars of the show. This show repeats at 1.30pm. The Academy Animal Ambassadors program runs at 12:30, 2:30, and 3:30 with some of the live animals that call the Academy home.
- African American Museum in Philadelphia permanent display includes Audacious Freedom: African Americans in Philadelphia 1776 – 1876, recounting the stories of and contributions made by people of African descent in Philadelphia during the tumultuous years following the founding of our nation.
- Eastern State Penitentiary Historic Site will have extra staff working CollegeFest weekend to present more guide-led tours than ever, and a few five-minute “Hands-on History” behind-the-scenes visits as well. Check out New Leash on Life with pets, trained in prison, up for adoption.
- How many times can you walk through the Giant Heart at The Franklin Institute in one visit? Come find out and explore 11 other hands-on science exhibits including Your Brain, Space Command, The Train Factory, and more! Travel to faraway galaxies in the Planetarium, see explosive live science shows, and make recycled paper at the paper cart. Enter for a chance to win a Dual Membership or tickets to Christopher Nolan’s upcoming blockbuster, Interstellar, opening November 6 in the IMAX theater!
- At the National Museum of American Jewish History it’s your last chance to see the groundbreaking exhibition, Chasing Dreams: Baseball and Becoming American. This is the first large-scale display to focus on the role baseball played in the lives of immigrant communities as they sought to understand ― or challenge ― American culture and ideals
- The Philadelphia History Museum allows visitors to explore more than 300 years of the city’s rich past—everything from William Penn’s utopian plans to the collective dreams of millions of Philadelphia sports fans!
- The Philadelphia Museum of Art will be the first stop of the day for many students arriving by bus from out-of-town. Inside the Great Stair Hall you’ll find music, a college-themed scavenger hunt, photobooth, and directions for a route through the galleries past highlights of the world-class collection.
- Philadelphia’s Rodin Museum, on the Parkway, contains the largest collection of sculptor Auguste Rodin’s works outside Paris!
The PHLASH is your quick and easy connection to key historic attractions and cultural institutions throughout Center City. Just show your Campus Philly wristband and ride PHLASH for free during CollegeFest! After CollegeFest, rides are $2 each or $5 all-day. Find PHLASH on-the-go with live updates at www.RidePhillyPHLASH.com and meet Philadelphia!