Our Summer Resource Guide is your all-access pass to enjoying Philadelphia this summer.
Whether you’re in Philly or you’re virtually enjoying the city, we’ve got you covered on all the ways to keep up with Philly this summer.
Get started below and check back for updates each week! We’ll be adding to our Summer Resource Guide weekly to give you the most up-to-date info, new things to do, fun resources, career advice, and more.
Featured in this Guide:
Even though summertime feels and looks different this year, there are still tons of ways to experience, explore, and enjoy Philadelphia this season.
Our Virtual Guide to All Things Philly is your one-stop shop to everything Philly. We’re talking must-visit parks, virtual exercise classes, restaurants to support through takeout and delivery, must-see virtual museum tours, and more!
Check out some of our favorite things to do below!
- Slather some butter on your popcorn, turn down the lights, and sink into a virtual tour of America’s most historic prison, Eastern State Penitentiary.
- Get your namaste on with free, live-stream yoga classes every day hosted by Tuck Barre & Yoga.
- Learn how to steam perfect soup dumplings from the masters at Dim Sum Garden.
- Get ready for date night with the Philadelphia Orchestra—now virtual! Listen to on-demand concerts, enjoy interactive activities, and more, all courtesy of the Virtual Philadelphia Orchestra.
- 21+? Get takeout, along with at-home cocktail kits, from Barcelona Wine Bar! Talk about a quarantini.
Continue to grow, engage, and network this summer! We’ve got some things you can do right now to start your summer on a (professionally) meaningful note.
Start with our 5 Ways to Build Your Resume This Summer blog now, and check out additional resources below!
What’s featured in the Guide?
- Get advice on developing a sharp resume and writing a professional cover letter
- Hear how to rock your next virtual interview from the experts at Juno Search Partners, Shift Profile, and Vanguard
- Catch all the tips on mastering LinkedIn and building connections from our team, along with the pros at Accolade
- Listen to honest stories about our own team’s non-linear career paths, and more!
2. Read Our Blog, 5 Ways to Get a Job Right Now
This is where we break down which companies are still hiring for jobs & internships in and around Philly, and all the resources you need to land the gig.
Plus, test your knowledge with the interactive version of the guide on Instagram!
3. Seek Out Virtual Volunteer Opportunities
DoSomething is the largest not-for-profit exclusively for young people and social change. They’ve compiled a list of 9 Places to Volunteer and Make a Real Impact—all you need to make a difference is an internet connection.
Volunteer Match also has an ongoing list of virtual volunteer opportunities in the Philadelphia region. Check them out and volunteer your time today!
4. Set Up a Virtual Coffee Chat
Is there a company you’d love to learn about? Someone’s brain you’ve always wanted to pick? Well, now’s the time! With many companies transitioning to work-from-home policies, people have a little more time than usual to meet virtually.
Send a message to a person you’d like to connect with on LinkedIn, and invite them to a virtual coffee chat. Maybe you want to learn about their career trajectory; maybe you’re interested in learning about a position or opening at their company. Either way, now is a great time to connect!
5. Join Our My Philly Summer Party on Instagram Live!
Celebrate your summer in Philly with Campus Philly’s My Philly Summer Party on Instagram Live! Hear from local Philly artists, network with other students and recent grads in the city, and win BIG—we’ll be raffling off prizes every five minutes during this 60-minute event.
6. Apply for B. PHL’s College Innovation Classic
This year, B. PHL wants YOU to be the headliner for its College Innovation Classic—a competition designed to showcase innovations (a product, idea, or solution) created by college students. This is YOUR chance to showcase your talent and present your innovations to a team of experts (venture capitalists, entrepreneurs, and Philly’s top innovators) to be awarded the title of “Philly’s Most Innovative” and, of course, walk away with the grand prize.
All the details can be found here. Submit your idea by July 10!
We say it all the time (we know), but there are companies still hiring, and it’s all happening on our Launch site. You can create an account now to start searching through hundreds of jobs from top Philly employers.
Plus, join us each week on our Instagram for #CareerThursday: We talk weekly job tips from employers, our Top 5 gigs of the week, and more.
Search through our interviews now to get more career advice!
There are so many companies offering resources to help you continue to learn virtually this summer, with webinars, free trainings, and more to leverage.
Check out some of our top picks below. Plus, take a look at The New York Times’ coverage of virtual internships, and their summer recommendations, here.
- Coursera: Coursera’s mission is to transform lives through learning. To help minimize the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak on students, the Coursera community is launching a global effort to assist universities and colleges to deliver courseware online.
- Upkey: Upkey is offering 1,000 students the opportunity to continue to grow with their Virtual Internship Program (VIP). Each student will earn a certificate of completion and $1,000 in tuition assistance, gain a professional network, and more.
- Beyond College 2020 Webinar Series: Covering a wide variety of topics from personal finance to professional development, Wells Fargo’s free webinar series will help better prepare you for what’s next after college.
- Elastic: Elastic supports students during this time by providing opportunities to connect and learn in a virtual environment. Check out the Elastic Training page, featuring free access to on-demand trainings every week!
To help during the COVID-19 crisis, Comcast is offering 60 days of free Internet Essentials service to new customers who qualify. They’ve also lifted the eligibility requirement on past-due debt, so it’s never been easier to qualify. Get connected!
The AT&T Summer Learning Academy is a free, self-paced online learning certificate program. You can register to participate in the AT&T Summer Learning Academy now! The online program launches on June 22 and runs for four weeks.
From cocktail kits and bites to-go, there are still so many restaurants to support in Philly this summer! We’ve got your list of must-visit spots below.
But first, you gotta check out our Philly Foodie Guide featuring tips on where, and what, to eat—all from Philly’s favorite foodies.
- East Passyunk and South Philly are the spots to get your Philly staples delivered this summer, with cheesesteaks from Pat’s King of Steaks or Geno’s, along with fried chicken and biscuits from Redcrest Fried Chicken, and more.
- Order a cocktail or margarita kit, and tacos, from Rosy’s Taco Bar. A summer must.
- Calling all sushi lovers! Who doesn’t love a light dish for the summertime? You can now make Tuna Bar’s customer-favorite dishes from home with DIY recipes and take-home sushi kits, and order online every weekend.
- Order the best candy and treats from Shane’s Confectionery (because sugar is simply the best to snack on) and enjoy take-out ice cream from the old-timely Franklin Fountain all summer long.
You can also check out this entire list of spots to support in Center City District!
- Live From Home: Connect with your favorite artists with Live Nation’s virtual music hub, “Live from Home,” updated daily with livestreams, new music, and exclusive artist content.
- Philly Sports: Catch throwback Phillies games and interviews when you tune into Phillies on the Air, keep up with the Philadelphia 76ers with their weekly podcast, or hit rewind on an oldie-but-a-goodie with the NBC Sports Philadelphia Flyers livestream.
Now, let’s stay connected!