Welcome to (or back to!) Philly for your fall 2020 semester. We know things both on- & off-campus are going to look & feel different this year, so as always, we want you to know we’ve got your back with all the resources you need to have a safe—and fun—semester in Philly.
Whether you’re attending classes virtually or learning in a hybrid setting, we’ve got everything you need right here.
But, before you read on for all the ~inside info~ on how to rock life in Philly this semester, check out this article from Billy Penn about mask-wearing in the city.
And, be sure to use a face covering as you explore Philly this fall, because, as Billy Penn noted: “Face coverings were observed on close to 90% of people exiting stores during the last week of August, according to Philadelphia Health Department observations from security cams outside retail shops. The increase tracks with a continued decrease in case counts and positivity rate, which has been steadily trending down in Philadelphia since Aug. 15. The city is seeing fewer than 100 cases/day, and just 3% of people tested are positive, on average.”
Let’s keep it up, Philly.
Campus Philly Events: Our Fall Lineup is Here
Resources for the Fall: Leverage These Free Tools
Outdoor & Indoor Dining: What You Need to Know
Break a Sweat: Where to Work Out in Philly
Explore the City: Snag Student Deals & Check Out Outdoor Study Spots
Focus On Your Mental Health: Getting Outside & Making Connections
Campus Philly Events
At our Campus Philly Career Events, our goal is to make sharing your story with employers, and learning about different career paths in Philly, as non-intimidating, fun, and productive as possible. Check out our fall lineup below!
Join us for a special “Ask Me Anything” conversation with Vaughn Brown, Talent Experience Manager, Diversity and University Programs, for Campbell Soup Company. Vaughn not only works with new, virtual employees to get them set up for success at their new jobs, but Vaughn himself started in his role at Campbell Soup in March virtually, so he knows firsthand the tips and tricks to building community, learning new skills, and growing professionally in a virtual environment.
Find your dream job or internship, and meet with companies who can help you discover what career excites you most, at our kick-off career event for the fall 2020 semester, Spark Philly!
This year, we’re hosting Spark virtually on Brazen. Join us on October 1 from 3-6 P.M. to meet with employers in and around the Philadelphia region who are hiring right now!
This is your opportunity to connect with companies like Comcast, CSL Behring, Energage, Vanguard, WSFS Bank, and so. many. more.
Your connections are what help move you forward in your career, and when you’re freelancing or running your own business, pitching yourself, and building your brand, is critical to your success. Where do you start? How do you use your skills, portfolio, experience, and passions to present yourself in the best way? We’re hosting a 45-minute event where we’ll cover ALL of this, and more.
Join us for a special conversation with Kenya Bullock, Campus Recruiter, CSL Behring; and Rene Benson-Skone, Center Manager, CSL Plasma as we talk about the many careers in the biotechnology industry, and how YOU can become a member of the CSL Behring team.
No matter what your creative passion, there’s an opportunity for you in Philly. Sign up today (for free!) for Create Philly, our annual event for creative majors and college students looking to pursue a creative career path in the Philadelphia region. This year, we’re thrilled to be hosting the event virtually in collaboration with REC Philly, the city’s hub for creatives, via REC’s virtual platform, RECPhilly.com/live. Join us for a virtual panel of four individuals from all different creative careers, highlighting full-time, freelance, and entrepreneurial roles within the creative industry. Full panelist lineup coming soon!
Every attendee of Create Philly will receive one month FREE membership to REC, a 10,000-square-foot creative space located at 9th & Market, designed to give you all the tools you need to launch your creative success.
No two days are ever the same in an agency, and if you’re someone who enjoys fast-paced work, and an environment where you’ll learn something new every day, perhaps a career at an agency is for you. Just ask the team at Tierney, one of Philly’s top agencies, with a pretty impressive roster of clients like Comcast, 6ABC, TD Bank, Fine Wine and Good Spirits, and so many more.
Yes, companies ARE hiring, and they want to hire YOU! Sign up today for our Black & Brown Students in Tech recruiting event, hosted on the events platform Brazen, for Black and Brown students interested in pursuing careers in tech in the Philadelphia region, as well as remote opportunities. Connect with employers across all industries that have open tech-related job or internship opportunities at this virtual event, November 10 from 3 to 6 p.m.
Resources for the Fall
- The Campus Philly Job Board: Leverage our free Job Board this fall! Whether you’re looking for a full-time job or an internship based in or around the Philadelphia region, there are a lot of companies currently hiring, and looking for young professionals just like you. Get started today!
- Internet Essentials from Comcast: To help during the COVID-19 crisis, Comcast is continuing to offer 60 days of free Internet Essentials service to new customers who qualify. Learn more!
- Student Loan Relief: In response to the Coronavirus National Pandemic, the Department of Education has extended relief efforts through December 31, 2020. All student loan borrowers with federally held student loans will have their payments automatically suspended until 2021 without penalty. In addition, the interest rate on all federally held student loans will be set to 0% through the end of the calendar year.
- Creative Cloud Access from Adobe: Get creative! Check out free distance-learning resources, including engaging lessons, courses, blog posts, and on-demand webinars from Adobe, and more!
- Beyond College 2020 Webinar Series: Covering a wide variety of topics from personal finance to professional development, Wells Fargo’s free webinar series will help better prepare you for what’s next after college. Check out their upcoming webinars this fall!
Dining Safely in Philly
Indoor dining returned to Philly on Tuesday, September 8. Looking to snag a reservation? Here’s what you need to know:
- Stay informed: Click here to see the full list of indoor dining restrictions released by city officials, including no more than four diners per table, restaurants filled to no more than 25% capacity, mask and face covering requirements, and more.
- See who is open: Click here to see the full list of dining rooms open in Philly now, and safely reserve a table at spots like El Rey, Sampan, or Frankford Hall this semester.
Plus, there’s still time to take advantage of the summer-slash-fall-ish weather with outdoor dining!
- Know before you go: Click here to see the full list of outdoor dining restrictions released by officials, including spacing tables, and the backs of all chairs (when seated), a minimum of six feet apart, restricting the total number of people on the premises to the current maximum, mask and face covering requirements, and more.
- Check out a new spot: Click here to see a running list of the reopened Philly restaurants where you can eat and drink outside, like Craft Manayunk, Morgan’s Pier, Juno Mexican Grill, Helm, Urban Farmer, and more. See even MORE must-visit spots here!
Bonus! Center City District Restaurant Week kicks off in Philly from September 13- 25, 2020. Restaurants are offering multi-course prix fixe menus ($20 lunches and $35 dinners!) to take home or enjoy at the restaurant. Whether you feel most comfortable dining out or taking home, support your favorite Center City businesses, or discover a new go-to spot! Learn more here.
Oh, and of course, don’t forget about getting all your Philly favorites delivered to your door! We’re talking classic Philly cheesesteaks from Campo’s, Oh Brother, Dalessandro’s, Max’s, and Del Rossi’s (we could keep going with this list…), a classic stir fry or noodle dish from honeygrow or Wokworks, an ahmazing pizza from Pizza Jawn, and more! Follow us on Instagram for more foodie recommendations every Friday.
Where to Work Out in Philly
Get Your Om On: Yoga in Philly
- Join a virtual class with Three Queens Yoga. Check out the schedule here!
- Get hot yoga on-demand with Hot Yoga Philly! See their full online schedule here.
Get Your Sweat On: Barre in Philly on Instagram Live
- Barre3 offers FREE classes focused on full-body, balanced workouts that combine strength conditioning, cardio, and mindfulness, all on their IGTV!
- Tuck Barre & Yoga offers free workouts on their IGTV! From ballet to boot camp to shred, there are plenty of options for all types of barre classes.
Show Off Your Strength: Classes in Philly
- Center City District and Optimal Sport have teamed up to host Zumba® and Boot Camp classes for participants of all skill levels through October 13. You can get more info about Center City Fit here!
- City Fit Girls is a community of women who share a passion and interest in fitness. You can get more info & learn about becoming a member here!
Explore the City with These Deals & Outdoor Spots to Study
Your student ID is your all-access pass to exploring the city on a budget… sometimes even for FREE! For a full list of where to use your student ID for a discount or deal, check out our Things to Do page.
Spoiler alert: We’re talking $5 admission to The Barnes Foundation with your student ID, FREE admission to the Penn Museum Tuesday-Friday from 3-5 P.M., pay-what-you-wish Wednesdays at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and so. many. more.
Looking for even more ways to get involved this semester in Philly? Check out our Campus Philly Calendar to stay up-to-date on everything happening in the city this month, plus follow us on Instagram for daily deals, things to do, Philly events, and more!
We’ve also got our Campus Philly Guide, which is now in our IG Highlights, featuring student-curated guides of where and what to explore in each Philadelphia neighborhood, ways to get around in the city (think walking, SEPTA, and biking with Indego), and more!
….and, because we love encouraging you to get outside, check out this full list of parks to explore in the city! You may just find your favorite new outdoor study spot.
Let’s Talk Mental Health
#RealTalk: We know this semester is going to be a huge adjustment, to say the least. Paying attention to how you are feeling, how you are spending your time, and how often you’re connecting with others is so important.
We have a list of eight simple things you can do to boost your mood this semester, while staying mindful and connected. As always, reach out to us to chat (we’re always here for you and available via DM), or check in if you need a little help securing the resources that work best for you.
We say it all the time (we know) but getting outside, getting fresh air, and staying connected to family and friends is more important than ever.
So, let’s stay connected this semester. Join us for virtual career events each week (seriously, our fall lineup is packed), check out a new spot to eat outdoors with your friends if you’re back on campus, throw on your mask and study up at a local park, and check back for weekly updates to this blog.
Like we said, we’ve got you covered on all-things-Philly this semester, even if you’re learning virtually, and we’re determined to make it a great one.