Cecelia Bushway is a senior Political Science and Humanities major, with minors in History and Peace and Justice at Villanova University. In her spare time on campus, she is happily involved in the graduate theater department as a props assistant. She also works with the service learning community as a facilitator and is a volunteer with the Philly based non-profit, Currently Trending. Cecelia loves going into Philadelphia for concerts and to visit the many museums. Following college, she plans on completing a year of service!
Guest-written by Cecelia Bushway
Philadelphia is a diverse and lively city that’s home to people of all walks of life. As a result, many communities have a wide range of resources available to them all around the city. One of the most active and welcoming communities in Philadelphia is the LGBTQ+ community. While the community is centrally located in the Gayborhood, resources can be found all throughout the city. Many college students are unaware of all of the resources available to LGBTQ+ folx that are either free or low cost. These resources range from support groups to medical care and everything in between. Below is a list of just some of the many resources available.
- City of Philadelphia Office of LGBT Affairs: A department of Philadelphia city government dedicated to helping the LGBTQ+ folx in Philadelphia through advocacy and inclusion.
- GALAEI: A community organization specifically designed to help the BIPOC LGBTQ+ community in issues of social justice.
- William Way Community Center: A community center where LGBTQ+ peoples can find a wide array of services from support groups to cultural experiences. The primary goal of this center is to provide consistent and innovative programs for the LGBTQ+ community in Philadelphia and the surrounding areas.
- Access Matters: A community engagement organization focused on helping people who have been affected by HIV. Services including HIV and STD testing. Part of the goal of this organization is to find people who have lost care and reconnect them with necessary services.
- Mazzoni Center: A health center focused on providing comprehensive health services to the LGBTQ+ people of Philadelphia in a safe and inclusive environment that actively works to protect the dignity of the populations served.
- Philadelphia Fight: Community health centers that are dedicated to providing primary care services, education, and advocacy for people who are living with HIV/AIDS or those who are at a higher risk.
- City of Brotherly Love Softball League: A LGBTQ+ softball league with various levels of play. The organization welcomes all levels of ability and hosts teams, clinics, and social events throughout the entire year.
- Fins Aquatic Club: Philadelphia’s LGBTQ+ swim team. This organization welcomes all ages, skills, and abilities. It is inclusive to all genders and orientations. Members can either swim to stay fit or compete.
- Philadelphia Voices of Pride: A vocal ensemble for LGBTQ+ individuals and allies with an aim to enhance the musical, educational, and cultural life in Philadelphia.
- PHILLY AIDS THRIFT @ GIOVANNI’S ROOM: The oldest LGBTQ+ bookstore in the country located at 345 S. 12th Street. This bookstore donates the proceeds to Philadelphia organizations that are a part of the fight against HIV and AIDS.
This list is only a snapshot of the plethora of resources available in and around the Philadelphia area! As a member of the LGBTQ+ community myself, part of the reason I love Philadelphia is the fact that the city is so diverse and welcoming. The city has become my second home where I can be out and proud!
Learn more information about each of the resources above my visiting their websites!
Do you have content that you want to share? Apply here to join our Campus Philly Brand Ambassador Program—applications are open on a rolling basis!
Plus, stay up-to-date on all things Philly with Campus Philly’s Instagram and Twitter; you’ll never miss an announcement of a new For Students, By Students post.