Caffeine and finals go hand-in-hand, right? Make plans to get off campus during finals week and check out a new coffee shop in Philly. Happy studying!Continue reading “Stay Caffeinated: 8 Spots to Study for Finals in Philly”
The semester may be almost over, but the best time to be in Philly is just getting started. With perfect temperatures for walking around, trees in bloom, and al fresco dining in its peak season, the spring and summer months are the best of the year.
Whether you have family in town visiting for graduation, or have posted so many impressive photos of Philly throughout the year that your friends couldn’t stay away, the five spots below will help you show your friends and family around the city you call home. Trust us on this one – they’re going to recognize you as the expert on the must-see, must-experience sites in downtown Philly. Continue reading “When School’s Out, Philly Summer is IN!”
What an exciting time to be a student in Philadelphia! The Eagles are Super Bowl bound, The Franklin Institute has a special student discount to see the famed Terracotta Warriors and there are cool upcoming events happening all over the city, PLUS Open Arts Membership Week and Wired:Philly, our recruiting event for science and tech majors. Below are our weekend picks!
P.S. Take this quick survey for your chance to win a free dinner in the city.
Deal Alert! The Franklin Institute is offering a student discount (only $10!) for a special Evening with The Terracotta Warriors on Thursday, February 8. Create an Open Arts account (FREE!) to access this deal.
- This Friday is Final Friday at the Philadelphia Museum of Art! The theme is “Weird Science,” which will feature experiments, discoveries, and art.
- Celebrate the Chinese New Year on Saturday, January 27 at the Penn Museum.
- There’s nothing crappy about the deals at Art Star CRAP Bazaar. Local artists will be selling off their “seconds” at huge discounts.
- Yogi’s choice – a Sunday yoga session among plants in a greenhouse or sharks in an aquarium! Or you can check out $5 workout classes at Sunday’s Resolution Rx 2018.
- Take a stroll down the Parkway and marvel at the free, outdoor Winter Fountains exhibition. It makes for great Boomerang material.
- Take a quick survey and get a chance to win a free dinner courtesy of Philadelphia Magazine.
January 14 – 21 is Open Arts Membership Week! Sign-up at openartsphilly.com/activate. Members get access to awesome discounts, free tickets and the ability to be part of our Open Arts College Nights, all for FREE.
- Three exclusive Open Arts opportunities coming up:
- February 8th, Evening with the Terracotta Warriors at the Franklin Institute. Claim $10 tickets exclusively for Open Arts members.
- February 9th-18th, Written on Skin presented by Opera Philadelphia at the Academy of Music. Snag FREE tickets to this Philadelphia debut.
- April 19th, Preview Night at FringeArts. Come check out the World Premiere of ¡BIENVENIDOS BLANCOS! OR WELCOME WHITE PEOPLE! Register for FREE tickets.
These and other special events are available only with Open Arts membership. Make sure to share openartsphilly.com/activate with your friends and make plans to explore the city!
You’re registered to attend the 2018 Inclusive Leadership Conference or you’re thinking about registering – if that’s the case, email Cory Dulaney to see if there is still room. If this is your first ILC, or you need a refresher, this is what to expect and how to prepare for the 2018 Inclusive Leadership Conference!
Exercise your body and mind! Here’s Where to Get Fit in Philly Without Going Broke and where to test your pop culture knowledge at these themed trivia nights.
Lend a helping hand on Martin Luther King Day on Monday, January 15. The 23rd Annual Greater Philadelphia MLK Day of Service has a long list of community volunteer opportunities.
Take a break from your clean eating resolution for one day. Come on, it’s just one! CCD Restaurant Week is happening January 14-26 at 50+ local spots. Three-course lunch, $20. Three-course dinner, $35. This is a popular deal so make your reservations now.
Lace up your skates and hit the ice at A Snowy Bowie Skate on Saturday, January 13 and Open Arts College Night: Skate Night on Wednesday, January 31, both happening at Blue Cross RiverRink Winterfest.
Start the New Year off right by finding, advocating, and teaching others to discover their voice! Campus Philly and Temple University will be hosting the Inclusive Leadership Conference on Feb. 3 for ALL Philadelphia-area college students. Register here.
Looking for more? Our calendar is a great resource for planning your Philadelphia adventure!
Welcoming the New Year in Philadelphia is like the dessert of the holiday season. You think you’re done after opening presents and family get-togethers, but hold up! New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day are here for the sweet ending. Here are our picks for ringing in the New Year in Philly:
SugarHouse New Year’s Eve Fireworks on the Waterfront
Sunday, December 31 | 6PM-12AM
Celebrate the biggest night of the year with fireworks! Two shows, at 6PM and Midnight.
New Year’s Funkin’ Eve at FringeArts (21+)
Sunday, December 31 | 10PM – 2AM
$35 for students and ages 21-25 gets you:
• all the grooves you can handle
• all the balloons you can handle
• champagne toast
• a floor to bust a groove on to the tunes of the renowned band Ill Doots and Philadelphia favorite DJ Dame Luz
The Ping-Pong Prom (21+)
Sunday, December 31 | 9PM – 2AM
Ping-pong social club SPiN is throwing a unique New Year’s Eve bash. The 21-plus crowd is invited to Ping-Pong Prom, where you can eat, drink, dance and play.
Plus here’s “Cheap or free Philly New Year’s Eve parties ($20 or less)” (21+)
The Mummers Parade 2018
Monday, January 1 | Parade Start: 9AM
During the festive, nearly 120-year-old tradition, 10,000 men, women and children dressed in colorfully lavish costumes twirl, sashay, pirouette and strut down one of the city’s main streets. The 2018 Mummers Parade parade begins at City Hall and continues south to Washington Avenue.
- Catch a free flick during Blue Cross RiverRink Winterfest’s “Twelve Days of Christmas Movies,” which includes holiday classics like “Elf” and “Christmas Vacation.”
- Pull out your ugliest holiday sweater and head to Thursday night’s Science After Hours: Ugly Sweater Party at the Franklin Institute. (21+)
- Get your last minute shopping done during Thursday’s Historic Holiday Nights in Old City, then walk over to the ‘Twelve Days of Christmas Movies’ at the Blue Cross RiverRink Winterfest. P.S. With a valid student ID, get free skate admission at the rink Monday – Thursday until December 21st. Skate rental not included.
- Celebrate the holiday season Bossa Nova-style on Friday Night at the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
- Take your laptop to your favorite coffee shop and start your spring internship search by creating your free Launch profile at campusphilly.org/launch. There are hundreds of local jobs and internships for you to apply to.
- See the sights and lights all around the city! Here are 8 Festive Events Happening in Philly Right Now.
- Wheel around the city on Wednesday at the Bicycle Coalitions’ Holiday Lights Ride. The ‘best-spirited costume’ will receive fun prizes!
- On Thursday, head to Historic Holiday Nights in Old City, then walk over to the ‘Twelve Days of Christmas Movies’ at the Blue Cross RiverRink Winterfest. P.S. With a valid student ID, get free skate admission at the rink Monday – Thursday until December 21st. Skate rental not included.
- Snack, shop and see the newest exhibit at Friday’s Open House: Pop-up Holiday Market at the Barnes.
- Handmade and vintage treasures are waiting to be found at the Punk Rock Flea Market, happening Saturday and Sunday at the BOK in South Philly.
- Looking for more? Check out Eight Festive Events Happening in Philly and our jam-packed calendar!
While your semester is winding down, Philadelphia is going full-steam-ahead into the holiday season! From local holiday markets to free museum days, here are some ways to take a study break and enjoy Philadelphia in its festive glory.
Channel your inner Olympic champion by bringing your best moves to the ice at Blue Cross RiverRink Winterfest. With a valid student ID, get free skate admission at the rink Monday through Thursday until December 21st. Skate rental not included.
Planning to shop til you drop this Saturday? Refuel with sweet treats at the Crepes and Cocoa Pop-Up near a.kitchen, 135 S. 18th St.
Speaking of shopping, there are several holiday markets happening this weekend! Crafty Balboa Holiday, 2017 South Philly Handmade Brigade, Handmade: Indoor Market & DIY Workshops, Go West Craft Fest
Run, run Rudolph! Lace up your sneakers for Saturday’s free Rudolph Run in Manayunk.
Celebrate Weckerly’s Ice Cream one year birthday at their first brick-and-mortar shop at 9 W. Girard Ave. “Throughout the day (and while supplies last), guests will enjoy a complimentary slice of birthday cake with a purchased scoop of ice cream.”
Head to Old City for Saturday’s Philly Holiday Festival’s Free Museum Day at National Liberty Museum. After, browse the unique Old City boutiques or stop by Franklin Fountain for their Holiday Hot Fudge Sundae.
On Tuesday night, watch the ’90s classic, “Home Alone,” on the big screen at PFS Roxy. No need to get dressed up for the occasion. The holiday movie screening will also be a pizza and pajama party…students receive a discount.
Get your bike ready to ride and shine for the Bicycle Coalitions’ Holiday Lights Ride on Wednesday. The ‘best-spirited costume’ will receive fun prizes!